Thursday, May 5, 2011

a healthy mind in a healthy body.

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano

I first came across this saying in a book I read a few years back. At the beginning I loved it, because I thought it sounded beautiful. The way the words roll together, latin is such a lovely language. One that has died out long ago, and yet is still used every now and then. The translation to english: A sound mind in a sound body; physical and mental health; A healthy spirit, mind, soul in a healthy body. Depending on who interprets the saying, it can come out either way...for me it's everything and all three: spirit, mind and soul. 

No matter how you take it, this saying sings to my heart. The words resinate perfectly with my goals in life and what I hope to achieve. Better yet, what I will achieve. When I get up in the morning I hope for balance, within my life, my world, my love. I want that healthy balance between the good and the beautiful, god and our pleasures. But most of all, I need a healthy balance in my body. I find when you come to a crossroad or a conflict, generally your head is telling you one thing and your heart another. Logically, you might understand why something may or may not be, logically it makes sense. But your kind little heart, does not feel the same. When the two don't align, chaos soars through your soul. To understand something logically but not have it feel comfortable with your heart is a steady struggle we all might face each day. We encounter problems we understand but don't like, things that will hold us down, keep us back - we get it, but it doesn't settle quite right.

Mens Sana In Corpore Sano.

A healthy mind, spirit, soul in a healthy body. You can work forever towards optimal health. To be in the best shape of your life, strong as heck...but you may feel amazing physically, but how about mentally? Do your feelings align? I know from experience I've pushed myself to limits I wasn't prepared for, with a workout or a diet, thinking I was achieving a healthy state that I wanted. My mind however, wasn't able to deal with it; cutting calories, working out too hard for too long. The epic battle of the body. Now when I wake up in the morning, I ask for peace within my soul. To simply love myself, for everything that I am. My personality down to my toes. It's not just about being strong, but about feeling strong. To love my soul, who I am, to accept everything I have been blessed with. For then, I can love all of me. It all comes down to being something and feeling it just the same.

To find that perfect balance between a healthy state of mind, a sense of peace in our soul and allowing our spirits to be free, all within the elements of a healthy body. To take care of who we are, what we eat, what we do, how we feel. Every day we put our bodies through hell. We challenge our minds. It's not only about taking care of our bodies, but understanding that it all starts in our heads, in our souls. A dream, a thought...a goal. If you want to be healthy, start with your mind. Set your standards high on what you want and how you're going to get there. Challenge yourself everyday and treat yourself well. You need your body. You need your knees, your back, your hands...thank them, for everything they've given you.
My thoughts here, are that I strive for the perfect balance between my mind and my body. I want them to align and to understand each other. I want to feel complete, healthy and free. To feel the balance and acceptance between my mind and my body; they will one day understand. I strive to not only take care of the health of my body, but the health of my mind, spirit and soul as well. You can't have one without the other.

A happy heart, comes from a happy spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers